Analogue electronics professional
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you skilled in analogue electronics design and implementation, and up for the challenge of developing electronics for accelerators at the high energy and intensity frontier? CERN, take part!
CERN is looking for talented individuals specialising in analogue electronics to join its Beams Department, which hosts the Groups responsible for beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimisation. These positions will be in the Beam Instrumentation Group, where you will take part in developing, testing, commissioning and maintaining the electronics required for the diagnostic devices used by the accelerator operators to control the particle beams being produced and accelerated at CERN.
Your main task will be to develop, produce, test, operationally deploy and maintain the acquisition and control electronics for various accelerator beam instrumentation systems installed throughout the CERN accelerator complex, including the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
The job will involve:
- Designing the analogue electronic circuits used to condition the electrical signals coming from the various detectors measuring the properties of particle beams in the CERN accelerators. This will include RF engineering and/or the acquisition of very low level signals;
- Building and testing prototypes;
- The construction of test benches;
- Installing, commissioning and maintaining large scale systems throughout the CERN accelerator complex.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of electronics with emphasis on analogue circuit design.
- Experience in the field of RF engineering and/or low noise, low level signal acquisition will be an advantage.
- Design and simulation of analog electronic circuits.
- Testing and measurement of analog electronic circuits.
- Assembly of electronic components.
- Knowledge and application of instrumentation and measurement techniques.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw-up technical reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible. Apply via the application form.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: BE-BI-2019-59-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further
Click here for the application form! (https://cern.redirect.your-jobresponse.com/analogue_electronics_professional_geneva/248653/V431/apply)