Senior Mechanical Engineer
IC Resources are working with an international business to find a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer for an initial period of 3 months. The responsibilities of the role include:
- Work closely with optical and electronic engineers on forming new design concepts and taking ownership of mechanical designs throughout the lifecycle or our products.
- Work closely with other departments such as sales, manufacturing and business development to present ideas and designs and report on progress.
- CAD design of bespoke laser solutions, new platforms and modifications of existing designs
- Preparation of mechanical BOMs
- Prototype assembly and preparation of assembly instructions, working with production engineering on transfer-to-production
- Design of test and assembly jigs for production
- Design, assembly and testing of cooling schemes for thermal management of laser systems (air and water cooling)
- Work with the purchasing department and directly with suppliers on finding cost effective manufacturing solutions for parts and sub assemblies, sourcing new suppliers if needed.
- Take ownership of project work packages and work with project managers to ensure delivery of solutions within tight deadlines
- Suggest and carry out design improvements on the basis of improved performance, reliability reduced cost or ease of manufacture
The successful applicant will have:
- Preferably qualified to degree level in Mechanical Engineering but will consider HND, C&G (or equivalent)
- Ideally 2+ years of experience in a similar position
- High level in CAD software: Solidworks or similar
- Relevant experience in thermal management, EMC and/or precision optical or electronic instruments or industrial product design.
- Understanding of sheet metal fabrication processes and CNC machining.
- Knowledge and understanding of drawing standards and geometric tolerances.
- Understanding of thermal issues and modern heatsink technologies. CFD and/or thermal simulation experience would be of benefit.
- Understanding of EMC issues
- Documentation skills
- MS Office, Design databases
- Ability to work on own initiative in a small multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to communicate and present ideas to other engineers and across the business.
- Understanding of cost reduction strategies
- Strong organisational skills to be able to work on multiple concurrent projects
- Some practical hands-on experience in mechanical engineering would be beneficial
If you fulfil the above criteria and would like further details please contact Sasha Booth at IC Resources.