Senior Mechanical Engineer
IC Resources are working with an international business to find a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer for an initial period of 3 months. The responsibilities of the role include:
- Work closely with optical and electronic engineers on forming new design concepts and taking ownership of mechanical designs throughout the lifecycle or our products.
- Work closely with other departments such as sales, manufacturing and business development to present ideas and designs and report on progress.
- CAD design of bespoke laser solutions, new platforms and modifications of existing designs
- Preparation of mechanical BOMs
- Prototype assembly and preparation of assembly instructions, working with production engineering on transfer-to-production
- Design of test and assembly jigs for production
- Design, assembly and testing of cooling schemes for thermal management of laser systems (air and water cooling)
- Work with the purchasing department and directly with suppliers on finding cost effective manufacturing solutions for parts and sub assemblies, sourcing new suppliers if needed.
- Take ownership of project work packages and work with project managers to ensure delivery of solutions within tight deadlines
- Suggest and carry out design improvements on the basis of improved performance, reliability reduced cost or ease of manufacture
The successful applicant will have:
- Preferably qualified to degree level in Mechanical Engineering but will consider HND, C&G (or equivalent)
- Ideally 2+ years of experience in a similar position
- High level in CAD software: Solidworks or similar
- Relevant experience in thermal management, EMC and/or precision optical or electronic instruments or industrial product design.
- Understanding of sheet metal fabrication processes and CNC machining.
- Knowledge and understanding of drawing standards and geometric tolerances.
- Understanding of thermal issues and modern heatsink technologies. CFD and/or thermal simulation experience would be of benefit.
- Understanding of EMC issues
- Documentation skills
- MS Office, Design databases
- Ability to work on own initiative in a small multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to communicate and present ideas to other engineers and across the business.
- Understanding of cost reduction strategies
- Strong organisational skills to be able to work on multiple concurrent projects
- Some practical hands-on experience in mechanical engineering would be beneficial
If you fulfil the above criteria and would like further details please contact Sasha Booth at IC Resources.
Apply for Senior Mechanical Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly