6 month contract
Rate negotiable depending on experience
IC Resources are working with a well established defence organisation to find an Optical Engineer for a period of 6 months. The role will involve conducting Optical Engineering tasks in support of current and future projects across the business.
The successful candidate will be required to conduct specialist optical engineering activities in support of development and production projects to ensure timely delivery of high quality military electro-optic products. These activities include optical analysis and design using commercial tools as well as optical testing and measurement in laboratory and production environments. The role will require liaison with project teams in the generation of optical requirements and design concepts, as well as close technical liaison with optical component vendors.
The candidate should have experience modelling or designing optical systems using appropriate commercial tools (preferred ZEMAX, ASAP or equivalent). An advanced understanding of optical physics, especially around the design of IR lenses for cooled detectors, with an understanding of classical optical principles. It is desirable, but not essential, that the candidate has an understanding of laser optics/ laser optical design.
An appreciation of the mechanical design aspects of electro-optical systems is beneficial and it is desirable that the candidate has experience working in a production environment.
Skills, qualifications & knowledge
B. Sc. in Physics (E)
M. Sc/PhD in Applied Optics (D)
Optical Design and Analysis
Cost and Schedule control
Appreciation of mechanical design of optical and laser systems
Substantial experience in an optical engineering related field
Key responsibility areas
1. Carry out/co-ordinate optical design activities using ZEMAX and ASAP software packages.
2. Lead Optical Engineering activities in support of new bids including concept generation and downselection, planning and estimation.
3. Optical Engineering support to build and integration phases of all projects
4. Optical Engineering support to production
5. Optical prototype testing during the development phase
6. Specification of optical test equipment required for both development and production phases.
7. Adherence to Optical Design procedures and maintenance of design records
This role requires full SC clearance so unfortunately is only open to UK Nationals of those with dual citizenship.
If you fulfil the above criteria and would like further details please contact Sasha Booth at IC Resources.