Wind Tunnel Support Engineer
Wind Tunnel Support Engineer
Engineering excellence is at the heart of Williams’ DNA. The team’s business model is unique in the pit-lane. While many of the other teams are extensions of multinational companies’ marketing departments, Williams is wholly independent; it exists solely to go racing. Its commercial partnerships must drive value back to its partners’ companies.
To meet these expectations, the team has grown exponentially since 1977. What started out as a group of 17 people has mushroomed into a company that now employs more than 600 people at its technology campus in Grove, Oxfordshire.
“This is the toughest era of F1 that I have been involved with,” says Frank Williams. “The standard of engineering in the pit-lane is very high indeed and for that reason we must always strive to do better. The next race is the only thing that matters in F1”.
We are looking for a Wind Tunnel Support Engineer to join our Aerodynamic Test Facilities department. The role will provide engineering support for the various Aerodynamic Test Facility operations.
Reporting to the Senior Wind Tunnel Systems Engineer the successful candidate will be responsible for proposing and progressing projects for the development of department systems and operations ensuring that Williams benefits from the use of the latest technologies and processes.
Key operational duties in this role will include:
- Provide engineering support for all Aerodynamic Test Facility activities, prioritising facilitating aerodynamic development by the Departments various customers and reducing unplanned downtime to an absolute minimum.
- Provide 1 week in 5 out of hours callout support (30 minutes maximum time to be onsite) for all Aerodynamic Test Facility activities.
- Carry out various systems tests as directed by the Senior WT Systems Engineer and the Head of Aerodynamic Test Facilities ensuring high quality data is obtained at all times.
- Analyse and process test data and provide formal reports on all activities.
- Interpret Facility System Performance indicators and Monitors and suggest remedial actions as required.
- In conjunction with other members of the Aerodynamic Test Facility ensure all facility systems are maintained and sufficiently documented to support all operations.
- Propose and progress projects for the development of the Department systems, rigs and operations ensuring that Williams F1 benefits from the use of the latest technologies and processes.
The main technologies that we use are: PLC Ladder Logic, NI Equipment, CAN, OPC, Ethercat & Real Time Controllers. Knowledge of application of these technologies in wind tunnels would be considered an advantage. It is essential that the successful candidate has knowledge of real time control systems, experience with industrial communication and network protocols and knowledge of electronic sensors and acquisition devices.
- Pension Scheme
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Health
- Travel Insurance
- 25 Days Holiday
- Free Gym
- Subsidised Canteen
- Mercedes Car Scheme
- BMW Car Scheme
Please Note: Due to the Volume of applications we receive on a daily basis we cannot guarantee your application will be acknowledged or considered unless you have applied directly via our website www.williamsf1.com/careers.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES