Principal CPU Performance Modelling Engineer
ARM is looking for an exceptional individual to take a technical leadership role in growing our modelling and performance analysis capability, in order to further aid CPU design.
The performance modelling team within the CPU group is responsible for early performance exploration and performance analysis of the next generation CPUs. The team interacts closely with the CPU RTL designers to investigate and evaluate new micro-architectural ideas and design trade-offs to shape the micro-architecture for the next products. To evaluate these ideas and drive the performance of the CPUs, the team develops C++ based performance models of the micro-architecture.
The key objectives of this role include:
- You will drive the technical direction of the modelling and performance analysis team, which develops, tests and maintains software models of ARM's advance CPUs.
- To collaborate with hardware design engineers to prune the design space of next generation products, understanding performance opportunities on current processors and investigate potential micro-architectural enhancements.
- Taking a leadership role in the development, testing and maintenance of the software performance models for ARM's advanced CPU and system level IPs
- Technically supporting other engineers by sharing your technical expertise and experience.
- To contribute to the continuous improvement of ARM modelling methodologies.
- This role requires close interaction with ARM development teams working on micro-architecture design, advanced architectures, software development, and validation.
Education & Qualifications
You will have a good university degree, ideally in electronic engineering or computer science, although other graduates would be considered if they have relevant experience.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Team leadership experience, including planning and managing tasks, as well as delivery to specification and schedule.
- Detailed understanding of CPU micro-architecture.
- Experience of performance modelling
- Experience of exploring and evaluating ideas and performance related to processor micro-architecture
- Expertise in C++
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Strong software development experience, including design specification, coding, testing, and debugging.
- Experience with RTL and SystemC simulators.
- Familiarity with ARM architectures and instruction sets.
- Knowledge of System Architectures including OS kernel internals.
- Experience of Unix development environment.
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviours that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviours are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
- Delivery of results - You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you're passionate about what you do.
- Partner / customer focus - Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
- Creativity / innovation - Possessing curiosity and a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
- Collaboration / communication - Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
- Personal impact / influence - You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
- Team / personal development - You take time to drive your own development, while also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
ARM is committed to global talent acquisition, offering an attractive relocation package.