Systems Architect - Advanced Product Development
About the role
As a member of the (APD) Advanced Product Development team, you will act to accelerate the adoption of ARM technology and help to open up new markets for ARM products by complementing the activities of our product groups and segment marketing team. This often involves development of, and working with, hardware/software prototypes and models that will not yet be available to the general public. Work is carried out on a range of development platforms, software models, simulators, and production code; this is a forward looking position, typically looking three to five years out before these technologies are adopted as commercial products by ARM partners.
Primarily focused on systems architecture and networking, you will be tasked to develop next-generation technologies for the Edge/OpenFog system architecture and networking infrastructure market. On this team you drive innovation, impact the future of ARM technology, and work alongside system architects and technology experts from across ARM.
What will I be accountable for?
In this high-visibility role within a small and agile team based mostly in San Jose, you will:
- Understand and shape next-generation systems, including the definition of future ARM products
- Work directly with ARM partners and customers on strategic technology developments in Edge/OpenFog system architecture and networking
- Develop prototypes and models
- Evaluate system functionality and performance
- Define and 'pathfind' future products
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
- You will be flexible with a variety of software or hardware development skills and bring a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge.
- You will possess a research mindset that seeks to find and communicate the best answers to complex technical problems based on systematic investigation.
- You will have a track record solving complex computer systems problems that span hardware and software.
- You will have a masters or bachelors degree, ideally in Computer Science or Electrical/Electronic Engineering, although candidates with other academic backgrounds would also be considered if they have the relevant skills.
- Computer systems experience with a track record of working on complex systems incorporating both software and hardware
- Solid understanding of computer architecture
- Strong programming skills and experience with the Linux kernel, kvm, and Linux user space programing using C and the native assembler and compiler intrinsics for specific processor architecture targets
- Knowledge of processor and i/o device virtualization and associated technologies
- Networking experience including knowledge of accelerators, protocols, programming models and related software
- Knowledge of the open software stacks such as OpenStack, ONF/CORD, OPNFV, OvS and methods to accelerate these
- Knowledge of DPDK and ODP
- Experience with hardware prototyping (for example, FPGAs) and associated languages and tools
- Knowledge of SoC accelerator interfaces and virtualization of SoC devices
- Knowledge of hardware and software based platform and network security architectures
What are the desired behaviors for this role?
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviors that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviors are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
- Partner and customer focus - Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
- Collaboration and communication - Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
- Creativity and innovation - Possessing a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
- Team and personal development - You take time to drive your own development, whilst also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
- Impact and influence - You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
- Deliver on your promises - You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you're passionate about what you do.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.